Every Student’s Favorite Part of the Year: AP Season!

It’s Advanced Placement, or AP, exam season and stress in school is so high, it’s almost tangible; it thickens the air. Study plans, stacks of practice tests, and very late nights (essentially just very early mornings) fill the final days of each school year. Although many of us place significant weight and importance on AP exams, I believe it crucial to recognize the benefits and pitfalls of taking AP’s. 

A dangerous misconception about AP classes is that they are essential to appear as a competitive college applicant or to ensure college admission. While the rigor of AP classes are impressive and taken seriously, they never ensure college admission or success. In fact, this mindset can, and has, led to a toxic, overly-stressful environment where students feel compelled to overload themselves and be extremely competitive with their peers, while ultimately sacrificing their well-being and other interests. 

First of all, competition can be healthy, but it depends where it stems from. Competition based on a fear of failure and the need to “be the best” is toxic. It can lead to self improvement in the short term, but never in the long term. This is how most AP classes are: toxic competition, and if this is the only reason you’re taking an AP, I suggest not taking it. However, competition stemming from motivation through a collective peer effort and passion for an education is significantly healthier. This form of competition is based on excitement and curiosity for intellectual advancement. I see this as a long-life skill: learning to love what you learn and finding a positive environment where you can feed off of others’ excitement too. 

Second of all, AP scores will never ensure college admission and success. As a senior, I now see this clearly. The grade you receive after the exam does not define your intelligence or who you are. Obviously as a sophomore and junior I did not believe this, no matter how many times I’ve been told so. But now having experienced the college admissions process and finished all my AP’s, I realize that it was never the score of the AP that got me anywhere. It was the level of intellectual rigor and depth of those classes which challenged me and sparked my curiosity and desire to explore. Yes, a high AP exam grade is academically validating. Yes, it is encouraging. But does it determine where you will go to college? Absolutely not. Colleges care more about who you are as a person, the skills you take from your classes, and what you make of your high school years rather than a single number. Taking on a passion project, for example, in an area aligned with your interests is a stronger demonstration of who you are. 

With that being said, I know we can all agree on the humorous, or enjoyable parts of AP’s: the stickers used during the test and the memes about the exam afterwards. During each test, each student is given an AP ID Label sheet with stickers of their AP ID. Following the test, stickers are used to seal question booklets. Personally, this is my favorite part during the AP. The process of meticulously removing and placing the stickers in their designated spot creates a peaceful break during the stressful exam. Nevertheless, AP’s are still extremely taxing and difficult, and leaving the exam room is one of the most freeing feelings. That freeing feeling is then augmented by the plethora of memes posted on Twitter, Instagram, TikTok, and other social media platforms following the exams. The perfect way to let loose after an AP is to laugh at some of the ridiculous questions that only you, and the other students who took the exam, understand. Although, we’re not really supposed to discuss the questions. Ever. (For legal reasons, this is a joke and I have never discussed AP exam questions!)

Again, if you’re a student taking an AP this year, remember that the result of the exam is not the end of the world. You are still you, and you are doing your best, which is amazing. Take the education and skills you gained during the year and let those catapult you to success. Now, decompress and destress and enjoy the summer. Enjoy it while you can, until next AP season!