Sophomore Art Class: Skill Building and Mentally Refreshing

Eden Rosenstock’s Art (25′), Ms. Zimmerli’s Class

One of HANCs most esteemed programs is its Art Program. I got the opportunity to speak to students from two of HANC’s tenth grade art classes and discuss the projects they are working on and how art class impacts their day. Ms. Zimmerelis’ tenth grade “Introduction to Art” class is currently working on Line and Wash paintings, which utilizes watercolor and pen in order to ultimately create a whimsical art piece. After choosing and printing a reference photo, the students use charcoal to transfer the photo onto watercolor paper. Then, they trace the outline in pen and begin to watercolor. While watercoloring, students focus on layering colors and creating texture. 

Shoshana Eisner’s (25′) art from Ms. Zimmerli’s class

Eden Rosenstock, a talented artist in the class described how, “this project has taught me a lot about watercolor”. Ms Zimmerli similarly expressed that the goal of the project is to help students “to understand how organic forms work through color and line work.” Many students expressed how helpful Ms. Zimmerli has been to create their picture. Orli Haftel mentioned that “She gives advice to help the piece better

represent the reference.”

Ava Herschberg (25′) and Miryam Weiss (25′) art from Ms. Medici’s class

When reflecting on the class, many students express gratitude for the relaxing break it gives in the day. Students say that the class “is therapeutic and fun” and “allows me to not overthink.” Students in Ms Medici’s art class, meanwhile, are drawing human eyes. Using black paper and colored pencils, the students follow Ms. Medici’s specific instructions in order to create vibrant artwork. Many students said that Ms Medici pushes them to “add more detail” to enhance their art. Ava Herschberg, a sophomore, particularly “enjoyed blending the colors of the eyes” and finds the class a relaxing part of her day. Ms. Medici explains that she hopes this class “broadens students’ horizons about art.” 

Tenth Grade can be a stressful year but both Art classes offer students an opportunity to learn about and practice art while also having a time to decompress.